Wednesday, March 2, 2011

NY Food Finds- Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza


Pizza is truly the staple food of New York City. If I were to review every good pizza place in the city, it would take me years if not decades to complete. Thankfully, thirty minutes north of Manhattan, we find Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza (264 Main St., White Plains, NY 10601) which puts an 'old world' spin on pizza that I had never experienced before! Clearly, as the name points out, Anthony's uses a coal fired oven to bake their pizzas. This oven, which cooks at nearly 800 degrees, provides the classic Anthony's flavor profile which they describe as "well done" (in fact, there are signs throughout the establishment that point this out as well).
The ambiance inside Anthony's screams "pizza joint", but a totally nice one!

Now, down to the good stuff. The menu is not extensive, which is incredibly good for an indecisive person like myself. There are nine specialty pies ($16.25-$19.25), two salads ($6.75-$9.25), two sandwiches ($8.25), four different share-size portions of italian soul food ($9.95-$16.50), and the one dessert any restaurant really needs: Cheesecake ($4.75). For me, it was all about the pizza. I have a friend that works at Anthony's and she has been begging me to come in and try their Philly Cheesesteak Specialty Pie ($19.25 for a large).
Side Note: You cannot order individual slices at Anthony's.
Growing up in NY, I'm used to the "upscale pizzeria" table setting.

I must say, although the setting is familiar to me, the pizza is not. The tastes and textures of the pie that are produced by the coal burning oven are incredibly unique. The bottom crust is harder and crunchier than you're probably used to, and maybe even slightly blackened in some parts, but it tastes amazing. Also, the meat used on this particular pie is well seasoned for use on pizza, and the onions were also cooked perfectly.
 I really didn't eat it before I took the picture this time. The waiter immediately served us two slices.

So, is the experience worth it? YES. Try a different kind of pizza place! Especially in White Plains, a city that doesn't really have a staple you-gotta-eat-at-this-place pizza joint (in my humble opinion). Also, if you go on a Wednesday, they have "Meatballs and Martinis" where from 5pm-closing you can enjoy $5 Martinis at the bar, along with food tastings until 7:30.

Recommended!!

No comments:

Post a Comment